Coaches and players are responsible for knowing all the rules. Click here for PDF of the Rules
FORMAT: 10v10 Coed Softball
- First pitch will be promptly at 5:30pm
- 5 Inning Game
- 60 foot bases
- Slow pitch softball arch required
- Minimum of two (2) girls must be in the field at any given time
- 10 players in the field at one time, but batting lineup must consist of all players so everyone will bat
- Fielding substitutions are made at the team’s discretion
- Captains will meet for a coin toss before the game to determine home field
- Basic equipment will be provided (softballs and bases)
- Each player is required to bring their own glove
- You may bring your own bat if desired
- Wooden bat ONLY for men, NO metal bats are permitted for men. Women are permitted to use metal bats
- NO Spikes are allowed
- Additional protective equipment is to be provided by players at their own discretion (including batting helmets, mouth guards, eye protection, protective cups, face guards or Catchers mask)
- Everyone will bat, there is not lineup
- 3 strikes is a strikeout
- Balls hit over the outfield fence, brick wall or blue railing is a Home Run
- Balls that bounce over the fence will be considered a ground rule double
- Players hit by a pitch are not awarded a base rather the pitch will be deemed a ball and the at-bat will continue.
- Leading off and stealing is not allowed.
- Leaving the base before contact results in a dead ball and runner is out.
- Obstruction of the base runner’s path by a defenseman is illegal and can result in an extra base and/or player ejection if deemed deliberate by ump
- Base runners must veer around, slide by or surrender to a defenseman trying to make a tag-out. Any attempt to knock the ball out of a defenseman’s glove by contact will result in an out and/or ejection.
- Feet-first sliding is allowed (except into 1st & home, in which there is ABSOLUTELY NO SLIDING), however if a player slides into a base to break up a double play or to intentionally interfere with any defensive play, both the runner and the batter will be called out.
- Pinch runners may be used if necessary due to injury
- With the exception of the ‘gentleman’s rule’, fielders may cover the field in any chosen configuration with a max. of 10 players.
- The 10th fielder or rover position is permitted to ‘rove’ between outfield and infield whereas the Left, Center and Right fielders must observe the gentleman’s rule (see below).
- All fielders (including pitcher) must stay on or behind the pitchers mound until the ball is hit.
- A base runner struck by a thrown ball will advance to the nearest base.
- Pitching mound is approximately 45’ from home plate (approx 15 paces)
- An underhand slow pitch delivery is to be used.
- The ball shall be pitched to the batter with an arc approximately 6 ft off the ground min., and no more than 10 ft off the ground max.
- A pitch is considered over the plate and a strike if it falls within the parallel sides of the plate and within approx. 18 in. of the back of the plate (anything that lands on the plate is a ball).
- Ball, strikes will be determined by the umpire from behind the pitcher’s mound.
- Intentional walking is prohibited and will be determined by the umpire.
INFIELD FLY RULE:
On an infield fly (any ball hit within the infield with significant arc and deemed an “easy catch”) with less than 2 outs and runners on 1st and 2nd or 1st, 2nd and 3rd, the batter is automatically out and runners can advance, BUT at their own risk.
- All outfielders must remain behind the outfield foul cone when a female is up to bat until after contact has been made.
- If an outfielder crosses the line before contact has been made, the batter advances to first.
- No more than 7 players are allowed in the infield.